The Story of the Dame
St John Street
A Public House has stood on this land since 1809, Originally built as the New Red Lion it was rebuilt in 1924 with a butcher’s shop to the front corner and the bar at the side. It started life 24 St John Street Road in 1833. Moved to 30 St John Street Road in 1848 and renumbered again to 68 St John Street and later to its home today at 292 St John Street, by 1910. This pub traded as the Bull, Queen Boadicea, The Boadicea and The Blacksmith and the Toffeemaker.
Dame Alice Owen
(1547 - 1613)
Dame Alice Owen was born 1547 the daughter of an Islington innkeeper. Married three times, first to a Master Brewer, then a Mercer and lastly a Judge, She survived them all and as a rich widow was in the position to help her the most in need of Islington. She established ten almshouses for poor widows and a free school which is still going strong to this day. Alice died in 1613 leaving the Brewers Company as the trustees of her charitable institutions.